Our award-winning facility is now powered by 100% renewable energy, a transition that will save 6,200 tons of CO2 from entering the atmosphere over the next three years
More examples of sustainable design and energy efficiency at the Silver LEED CertifiedSpertus Institute:
- The windows are fritted (ceramic dots called frits are bonded onto the glass) to control heat gain and glare.
- Advanced computer-controlled lighting and HVAC systems significantly reduce energy consumption.
- A green roof (planted with special vegetation) allows rainwater to evaporate rather than enter the sewer system. It also absorbs air pollution and keeps the building cool in the summer.
- Cleaning products are Green Seal certified
- Paints and building materials are low- or no-VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds).
- Our caterers purchase locally and organically whenever possible, using seasonal menus to avoid serving fruits or vegetables that require long-distance transportation.
- Through recycling and composting, Spertus saves approximately 40 tons of waste from entering landfills each year.